Director Math & Bonus Worries

Now open! Battle just like in the anime! Be sure to read the rules and see example battles when they become available.

Moderator: Ametrine

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
User Title: Projects Director

Re: Director Math & Bonus Worries

Post by White Phoenix » Sat 2011.Feb.19, 15:36

I am just guessing, but I think part of the reason Nintendo took its license away from WotC is because they didn’t want to do business with Hasbro. Just a feeling really. Er, the statement is confusing. If Hasbro wanted TSR to do it, TSR wouldn’t have much of a choice, would they?

I was thinking more along the line of independents and/or small companies like Steve Jackson Games or Pinnacle Entertainment Group anyway.

I had also considered doing an AGT version, but the most modern engine for that was designed for Windows 3.1. 8-\

Oh! Researcher, Ranger and Mystic or Psychic! 8-P
The only good ’bot is a dead ’bot.
Friend codes available in my profile.

Ametrine
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
User Title: Moving on is hard to do

Post by Ametrine » Sun 2011.Feb.20, 07:38

White Phoenix wrote:I am just guessing, but I think part of the reason Nintendo took its license away from WotC is because they didn’t want to do business with Hasbro. Just a feeling really.

It's part of the feeling I get as well. But WotC was making some pretty sweeping executive decisions as well, and that reflected badly on the game.
Er, the statement is confusing. If Hasbro wanted TSR to do it, TSR wouldn’t have much of a choice, would they?
Forcing a sub group of writers to do anything they don't want to do results in really horrible outcomes, all of which would need approval from Japan in the end anyways. America really is the home of most RPGs, though that is changing more recently. And no, I'm still not counting Japan, console RPGs have nothing on the twistedness of a good, power mad GM.
I was thinking more along the line of independents and/or small companies like Steve Jackson Games or Pinnacle Entertainment Group anyway.
BESM doesn't count as a system (Personal issue, disregard), most 'large' independents are invested in a pre-existing system. SJ would do an interesting job, but well... Pokemon Inc thinks the target audience is a bunch of retards. <10 year old Ash rant here>
Oh, come on now. Knowing the people I play with regularly, first thing I'm going to do is throw them a Ranger-Psychic storyline set in Fiore just to throw their 'Wah, Cockfighting' asses for a loop. Possibly with a hint of Call of Cthulu on the side.
I'm not sure, which makes for a cuter dark god: Kyogre, Dark Manaphy, or an ancient Gorebyss?

It's not like they're not clearly represented in the universe. Gary Oak is now a Trainer-Researcher. Pokemon Rangers are all over the place, not to mention by that ruleset Looker is an elite ranger. This means Interpol is a player available class, which is nice. It's been implied that to master psychic pokemon, it helps to be one yourself.
I'm a little surprised you didn't react negatively to the martial artist class myself. At least Rangers, Coordinators, and Psychics appear in the game regularly. Normally I wouldn't believe that humans could learn Aura Sphere for any number of reasons.
Censorship, especially in the name of Order, sucks.

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Sun 2011.Feb.20, 16:40

Ametrine wrote:BESM doesn't count as a system (Personal issue, disregard), most 'large' independents are invested in a pre-existing system. SJ would do an interesting job, but well... Pokemon Inc thinks the target audience is a bunch of retards. <10 year old Ash rant here>
BESM? Yes, a bunch of retards buying Pokémon games and cards.
Oh, come on now. Knowing the people I play with regularly, first thing I'm going to do is throw them a Ranger-Psychic storyline set in Fiore just to throw their 'Wah, Cockfighting' asses for a loop. Possibly with a hint of Call of Cthulu on the side.
I'm not sure, which makes for a cuter dark god: Kyogre, Dark Manaphy, or an ancient Gorebyss?

It's not like they're not clearly represented in the universe. Gary Oak is now a Trainer-Researcher. Pokemon Rangers are all over the place, not to mention by that ruleset Looker is an elite ranger. This means Interpol is a player available class, which is nice. It's been implied that to master psychic pokemon, it helps to be one yourself.
I'm a little surprised you didn't react negatively to the martial artist class myself. At least Rangers, Coordinators, and Psychics appear in the game regularly. Normally I wouldn't believe that humans could learn Aura Sphere for any number of reasons.[/quote]
??? 8-P = drooling 8-þ = derision 8-þ~~~~ = raspberries
Although I don’t really understand why the highest level for psychics would be rain maker. Martial artists are OK. I’m a Bruce Lee and . . . the blonde guy with the beard . . . I just had his name a second ago . . . Chuck Norris fan. I just don’t see myself as the type though. Mystics seem to have weird levels also. I suppose the classes are supposed to parallel the 17 pokémon types, but I really don’t think there is a need.

The top rank for fashion coördinator is tough guy? I didn’t see anything that says anyone learns Aura Sphere. Just that the first rank of the martial artist class is aura user. Which seems more like a psychic or mentalist rank to me. Besides how do you use an aura? If you can see an aura, you can determine a person’s personality/emotional state, but that would be about it.

Ametrine
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
User Title: Moving on is hard to do

Post by Ametrine » Mon 2011.Feb.21, 09:22

You have to admit, drooling and raspberries are really similar. My mistake. ^^

From my understanding of the class system, it's:

Generic Skills [called pokemon trainer]
- Core Class, Martial Artist for example with Minor Prerequisites
-- Advanced Specialization, Aura master with Major Prerequisites

It's not that all coordinators go down the list and become Tough guys, that's just alphabetic fate.
Beauty Modeler, Coolness Portrayer, Cute Idol, Fashion Designer, Investor, Smartness Teacher, and Toughness Contester are all specializations that a coordinator can go down. Some specialize in training for Tough contests, some specialize in Coolness, some make items, and some learn to throw their money around. And some dabble in the basic coordinator skills, but have day jobs as Breeder > Medics.

The Martial Arts class has the option to learn moves like Double Slap, and the Martial Art's Advanced class Aura User can learn to read minds and fire energy beams.
Which, based on the Lucario movie, isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Fun note off of page 4:
A Pokemon Trainer can take up to three Trainer Classes and/or Advanced Classes. Since Advanced Classes always have a prerequiste of a Trainer Class, a Pokemon Trainer’s Feature Options will look like one of the following examples: Three Trainer Classes, never pursuing a speciality in any of the three Trainer Classes. Two Trainer Classes and one Advanced Class, choosing to find an expertise in an area of one of the Trainer Classes chosen. One Trainer Class and two Advanced Classes, choosing to become adept at the class they choose by mastering two aspects of the Trainer Class.

Still. got to read more, figure out how it runs specific things.
Censorship, especially in the name of Order, sucks.

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Mon 2011.Feb.21, 14:04

My error this time. I was thinking they were levels or ranks instead of specialties inside a class.

>sigh< Tough choices to make. I would like to go in so many of those fields. 8-) Sometimes you are allowed more than the limit, if you are willing to pay, or you can switch fields, but you have to pay extra to switch. You are allowed to keep the skills you have obtained in the previous field, but you can no longer advance in that direction. Other penalties may apply.

Are there provisions in this system for such a scenario?

Return to “Anime Style Battle City”