Show off your avatar and signature banners creations here. You can also make your requests for others to create a signature banner for you.
White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
User Title: Projects Director

Post by White Phoenix » Tue 2017.Aug.22, 13:16

Avatar and signature requests may be left here. Any talented artist may fufill any request.

Avatars are set to be displayed as 200 × 200 pixels. The files must be smaller than 500 KiB (512000 B). I have discovered the width and height of the actual image may be larger, but the avatar must be no more than the stated file size. If you need conversion between binary (IEC) and metric (SI) sizes then go here.
The smallest size that can be used is 20 px × 20 px.

Recommendations
The sizes that I used are 200 px × 200 px × 150 dpi. Square works the best, but if the background is transparent, then it does not matter. The TIFF format cannot be used, and GIF files are limited to 256 colors (8 bit depth). For some reason using 32 bit depth ruins transparency. So I reluctantly recommend the proprietary PNG format at 24 bits. If you are using an animated avatar then the file size is large enough to accomodate an animated GIF file at the recommended width and height. If you are able to find or create an animated PNG file, that will work as well.

Signature Specifications
The signature image size (width by height) is set at 500 px × 100 px
This will probably be the display size in the same way the avatars are. There is no setting limiting the file size, but most likely anything larger than 625 KiB will fail, especially for animated images.

Recommendations
500 px × 500 px × 150 dpi × 24 b, PNG or animated GIF formats at 625 KiB.

For creating your works use any good Windows imaging program that will import any image format and export in PNG and animated GIF/PNG formats. Mac may have good applications as well, but you will find nothing good in Linux. (If anyone does, please let me know.)
The only good ’bot is a dead ’bot.
Friend codes available in my profile.

Hotmedal
Gengar
Gengar
User Title: I don't think therefore I SPAM

Re: Avatar and Signature References

Post by Hotmedal » Tue 2017.Sep.05, 16:06

White Phoenix wrote:
Tue 2017.Aug.22, 13:16
but you will find nothing good in Linux. (If anyone does, please let me know.)
How could you possibly have spent all those years with Linux and not have had to use GIMP?

Edit: Also, unlock spamospat
lolcakes

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Tue 2017.Sep.12, 11:57

Eeeewwww. Gimp.

Hotmedal
Gengar
Gengar

Post by Hotmedal » Thu 2017.Sep.14, 21:43

n00b
lolcakes

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Fri 2017.Sep.15, 06:40

Linux has yet to come out with an art program with a standard user interface, or at least one that has features that work as well as the Windows versions. Given that, there is a vector image program that I want to check out. Although, I don’t know if I would find it useful for the way I work. Also SVG files are not accepted by the forums. So creating avatars, signatures and banners would still need to be done using PNG format.

On the other hand, someone who hasn’t used any art programs probably wouldn’t have a problem learning Gimp’s interface or tools.

Hotmedal
Gengar
Gengar

Post by Hotmedal » Sat 2017.Sep.16, 10:30

White Phoenix wrote:
Fri 2017.Sep.15, 06:40
Linux has yet to come out with an art program with a standard user interface,
GIMP works in more or less the same fashion as Photoshop.

or at least one that has features that work as well as the Windows versions
Got those

Given that, there is a vector image program that I want to check out. Although, I don’t know if I would find it useful for the way I work. Also SVG files are not accepted by the forums.
You don't know how anything works. Once you have an SVG you can make a PNG out of it at any resolution you want.

So creating avatars, signatures and banners would still need to be done using PNG format.

On the other hand, someone who hasn’t used any art programs probably wouldn’t have a problem learning Gimp’s interface or tools.
On the other hand, anyone who has used a computer and has Google wouldn't have a problem learning GIMP's interface or tools.
Unlock 5pam-0-sp4t
lolcakes

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Sat 2017.Sep.16, 11:40

Hmm. Haven’t used PhotoShop in years either. I started out with Serif PhotoPlus an inexpensive JASC PaintShop clone. Paint had a similar UI, but less features. I tried PhotoShop a couple of times, but wound up staying with PhotoPlus. Now JASC PhotoShop is Caligra? No. That’s a different office suite. Corel! There was another DOS paint program I used all the time. Can’t remember the name though. That was before I was forced to migrate to Windows.

Ohhhh, I forgot that I could export it to a PNG file. I’ve done it before. Oh wait! SVG files could be used for images in a program/database. All of my future projects where I would want to include images (like the offline Pokédex) could used SVG instead of PNG. That would mean the user could enlarge the image to see whatever details they wish. There is a CardDex under development that having card images in SVG would be very useful for reading the text in the image no matter how small. i could do that for the online database and offline HTML/flat file datagbase versions of my applications.

It was easier creating a dual-boot system and installing PhotoPlus. There are still problems, but I have been developing work-around strategies to prevent problems. Since I only use Windows for art projects and playing games in Japanese that Linux can’t display properly, there is usually no problem.

In any event I suppose it comes down to use whatever you feel the most comfortable using... until you find something you like better. It also helps if you don’t have so many interests you don’t have enough time for all of them.

Hotmedal
Gengar
Gengar

Post by Hotmedal » Sun 2017.Sep.17, 06:57

Unlock 5pam-0-sp4t, you rambling nut and ramble over there.
lolcakes

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by White Phoenix » Sun 2017.Sep.17, 20:33

You couldn’t just start a new one? Meh. Okay, I’ll unlock it. May as well check the registration thing. Maybe new members might join, if they can register.

Return to “Avatar and Signature Chamber”