Aptly named: "Toxic"

Write your own creative stories, or informative thoughts and post them here for others to read.
Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter
User Title: George Moshington

Aptly named: "Toxic"

Post by Xarxes » Fri 2010.Dec.17, 22:54

Tell me whatcha think: It's supposed to be kinda scary teehee

tl;dr olive juice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's just another battle, it's just another battle," the trainer kept repeating to themselves as they sent out their only Pokémon, Linoone, against the opposing trainers fearsome Muk. It just sat there, letting off a putrid stench causing his stomach to churn. With a quick toss of the Pokeball Linoone apperated in front of the trainer staring the Muk down with a keen eye.

"All right Linoone, let's quickly finish this so we can leave this rotting waste in the dust! Use Slash and go for any weak spots you see; let's try and get a critical hit on this loser!"

Linoone, upon hearing command, geared itself up for attacking eyeing the Muk over; looking for weak spots. Concentrating hard he didn't seem to notice any as the sludge that covered Muk's body seemed to flow endlessly in a loop. Decided to wing it Linoone raced to top speed, barely being visible by the human eye, and slashed at the Muk's sludge-covered body in hopes of causing some damage. Feeling contact, Linoone felt elated that he had hopefully done some damage. He also felt some of Muk's sludge come off with the powerful swipe of his claws.

The opposing trainer sneered at the attempt. "Grab 'im, Muk." In a flash, Muk had the Linoone grasped in his powerful, poisonous hands. "Muk... toxic." Muk bellowed as he injected venom into the central system of the poor Pokemon that he had clasped in his hand.

Linoone's body shook violently in reaction to the Toxic and it did a Quick Attack in retaliation and sped back to his own side of the field. Breathing impaired, Linoone's eyes started to blur and he could no longer track the Muk that was in front of him. His heart rang out in his ears causing all sounds around him to be distorted. Linoone collapsed to the ground, spewing up some of the Poffin that his owner had fed him earlier.

"Linoone!" screamed the trainer as he rushed over to his injured Pokémon. He quickly recalled him into his Pokeball and rushed off in the opposite direction from the battle forgetting to even pay the opposing trainer his royalties for winning. All he could think about was getting back to the Pokémon Center in Cerulean City up a few routes. Inside the Pokeball, however, was another story...

The familiar darkness that Linoone had become accustomed to seemed unforgiving now, suffocating any sense of homeliness that he had felt before. Scratching at his head, Linoone hoped for the pain to cease but only caused the sludge he had acquired under his nails from the battle to seep in directly to his brain. Upon contact, Linoone's eye dilated causing visual distortions. The blackness around him morphed and he found himself floating in a purple wasteland, not recognizing anything around him. Ambigious shapes floated around him, taunting him with insults in a language he couldn't understand.

Suddenly, the sky darkened and as Linoone looked above him, the Muk that he had previously faced loomed over him bellowing as its body morphing as it grew larger and larger. Linoone's body shook with pain as the Toxic sunk even deeper into his core and affected his brain more and more. The previous scenery seemed to melt away as the blackness of his Pokeball seemed to return. The systematic beating of his heart echoed throughout the Pokeball as he attempted to reach a sense of self-sanity. For a minute it seemed to work, and then the darkness melted away to a background of pure white...

What seemed to be nothingness actually turned out to be snow as Linoone's paw "crunched" with each step that he took. Cautiously, Linoone walked forward, sniffing out the surrounding but smelling nothing; eyeing absolutely everything but seeing nothing. He couldn't tell where the land met the horizon nor could he make out if there even was a sky.

In a panic of claustrophobia, the Linoone lurched forward, running as fast as he could. His heart pounded in his ears as his eyes began to dilate even more. The poison taking full effect in his system. Suddenly, as if timed, the ground ripped open as a being rose up out of the snow. Head to the sky, it bellowed with the force of a million lungs, the sound almost unbearable for the Linoone. Staring up in sheer terror, Linoone stood frozen as the darkened being looked down upon him with piercing, red eyes. It began to open its enormous mouth, as pulled its head down to be level with Linoon, and malice filled words echoed through Linoone brain.

"Your trainer has left you. You're going to die, Linoone, and I'm here to take whatever essence of life you have left." With that said, the grotesque figure reached down with a hand that seemed to have neither shape nor a physical connection to the body itself. It reeked of death and decay and Linoone could do nothing but stare into the very enigma of death itself. Linoone shut its eyes as it was clasped but upon opening found himself in the darkness of the Pokeball yet again. He had a better sense of aware this time around and could feel the familiar rhythm beat as the trainer ran. He felt an overpowering sense of Joy knowing that Trainer had not left him.

Suddenly, as he felt the trainer take another step, pain shot through his body and he felt his life being sucked away. The blackness was pierced by two red eyes as the being returned. Bellowing even louder this time as it apparated, Linoone was sure that his sensitive ears were going to burst. "What did I tell you, Linoone? You are dead. The trainer has ceased to care. Why do you continue thinking there is hope?" The sharp words stinging Linoone at his core. "You are dead. Dead. Dead." The repetition caused Linoone to go mad, flailing vigorously; he lashed out all around him until he felt a calming hand resting upon his body. He slowly opened his eyes and saw his own face staring back, maggot-filled and decaying. Shrieking, Linoone sped away from his own decaying self, eyes clenched shut in fear of seeing anything else. He felt comfort in the blackness knowing that it couldn't hurt him. But he was wrong on that notion too...

He raced on and the pumping blood circulated the poison even quicker through his body causing the distortions to become more real, more life-like. Stopping suddenly, he saw a figure in front of him; the figure stood rooted to the ground but looked as if it had lived for all eternity and yet that time had sucked all joy out of it leaving nothing but a hollow shell. The figure’s skin was wrinkled, but the wrinkles were deep and disgusting causing Linoone’s stomach to churn. It swayed forward towards Linoone, speaking in a voice that seemed to be extremely silent but echo at the same time.

“Dearest, Linoone. It seems you have to come to the verge of death. I’m sure you’ve met The Keeper of this realm. Feisty, isn’t he?” as it walked forward, it’s brittle bone structure screamed causing Linoone’s senses to be overwhelmed. Heart beating faster, Linoone’s mind flooded with fear and mixed signals and alerts, not knowing what was going on at all.

“What’s wrong, dearest Linoone? You seem to have grown a tad pale. It’s only death; nothing to fear…” coming close enough for striking range, Linoone exerted all of the energy he had in a powerful Giga Impact, blasting the figure far into a large snow covered hill. The snow collapsed upon the figure covering him up and Linoone fell in exhaustion, breathing heavily and keeping a sharp eye on the hill.

From within the hill came a sharp rumbling sound and Linoone felt that something was definitely amiss. The snow blasted off into all directions as the figure that had once been but the size of a mere human, grew up into the endless, white sky. Blackened sludge flowed of the bottom of the figure giving it and ambiguous shape. The wrinkled skin ripped apart and the blackened figure from before appeared yet again but seemingly far angrier this time.

“Upon invading my realm, you now wish to cause me harm? I will show you true pain, dearest Linoone. I will make absolutely certain that you will feel no joy ever again.” As those words escaped the enormous jaws of The Keeper it lurched forwards towards Linoone with mouth agape. Linoone shut his eyes as he prepared himself to be ingested by the darkened entity.

A few seconds passed and Linoone felt nothing… slowly he opened his eyes and found himself staring into the face of a Chansey. It looked back with a worried face, but upon seeing that he had regained consciousness it released an elated squeal and picked the Linoone up and hugged it. Linoone, confused, hung there in a daze in the arms of the Chansey.

Around the corner came a Nurse Joy who smiled upon seeing the Linoone back in good health. She came over and took the Linoone out the hands of the Chansey and stroked his wily coat. The Linoone settled into the arms of the Nurse and let out a deep satisfied purr-type noise. It spun around and looked up at the Nurse smiling. The Nurse smiled back.

The smile changed however and the Nurse looked back at the Linoone with a look of disgust. “The Keeper will never let you get away. It’ll be back.” With that, the Nurse dropped the Linoone on the ground suddenly and walked away.
Last edited by Xarxes on Fri 2010.Dec.17, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzGZ2QrCnhI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_uUTVHbSE

Is that an Onix in your Pokeball or are you just happy to see me?

floppybelly
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
User Title: Allons-y!

Re: Aptly named: "Toxic"

Post by floppybelly » Sat 2010.Dec.18, 04:00

That's kinda weird, man.
It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezzes are cool.

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Sat 2010.Dec.18, 08:05

I was going for something like that. More scary than weird, but I can definately see that. I wonder why I chose Linoone...

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
User Title: Projects Director

Post by White Phoenix » Sat 2010.Dec.18, 15:25

Probably for the same reason Hitchcock used blondes in all but one of his films as the heroine. Blondes are usually seen as more vulnerable than brunettes.

You needed a pokémon for which the audience would feel empathy. A linoone is soft and cuddly.

The reaction of the nurse at the end is a bit curious since there is no reason why she would know about the Keeper in the linoone’s delusion. On the other hand, it gives the impression that maybe this is more than just a nurse.

Technically, I found only three words that were grammatically incorrect. Other than that . . . you could be another Rod Serling.

. . . you are about to enter another dimension . . .
The only good ’bot is a dead ’bot.
Friend codes available in my profile.

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Sat 2010.Dec.18, 18:13

Well, at the end I was attempting to have the Linoone projecting his fear into reality. I was just trying to make it scary :D

@ the grammer errors: I'm surprised there were only three o_O I suck at writing grammer-wise

White Phoenix
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
User Title: Projects Director

Post by White Phoenix » Sun 2010.Dec.19, 13:53

Xarxes wrote:Well, at the end I was attempting to have the Linoone projecting his fear into reality. I was just trying to make it scary :D

@ the grammer errors: I'm surprised there were only three o_O I suck at writing grammer-wise
Yes, and they were probably just typos.

And the ending is good. You wake up and everything is normal. You are going to be OK.

. . . or are you?

Not knowing is scary.
The only good ’bot is a dead ’bot.
Friend codes available in my profile.

Hotmedal
Gengar
Gengar
User Title: I don't think therefore I SPAM

Post by Hotmedal » Mon 2010.Dec.20, 15:27

Ahahahahahahhahahahahaha

SICK!
lolcakes

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Tue 2010.Dec.21, 02:35

Hotmedal wrote:Ahahahahahahhahahahahaha

SICK!
Thanks!

...I think :D:D:D

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Sun 2011.Mar.06, 02:23

Toxic Pt. 2

The overhanging light was the first thing that took form as Linoone regained consciousness; it swung to and fro as if recently disturbed while making a slight screeching sound. Stirring, and making a low growling sound, the Pokémon tried to remember just where it was… and why everything was so eerily silent. Blinking his eyes rapidly, he looked around the room in an attempt to regain some memory. It was pure white; the walls, the table he was on, the chairs, and everything else... pure white. The unnerving quality of just how pristinely even the tone of everything was. There wasn’t a single spot that was darker or lighter and all of the items in the room seemed to melt together into one bleached environment. Memories of a snow covered landscape surged back into the mind of the Linoone; filling him with dread. The Keeper’s hideous vision spiraling upward, never-ending, into the horizon haunted all of Linoone’s memories and caused him to shake visibly. Smashing his head into the table he was on, Linoone attempted to clear his mind of malice filled eyes that pierced him from another dimension; engorging themselves on the sight of his fear.

I will make absolutely certain that you will feel no joy ever again…” a whispered echo rang through Linoone’s head, filling him sheer panic. He slammed his head against the table repeatedly, until everything started to blur into a blackened smudge, and a sharp ringing invaded his ears. Blood was smeared all over the whiteness and seemed to disturb the whole environment drastically; almost as if it was angry at the newly acquired blemish.

Disoriented, the Linoone swayed on the table, and eventually fell off the left side of it, crashing heavily to the ground. The blood that was leaking for his head caused a slight puddle to accumulate on the floor. With bated breathing, he began to lift himself up off the ground, struggling as his legs could barely support him. A sudden surge of pain sent a shock to Linoone’s entire system, causing him to vomit underneath himself; his legs giving way, he fell down in his own vomit – his thick fur soaking the filth in, consciousness disappearing.

…The rumble came in slowly, shaking the ground just enough to stir the Linoone. Disorientated, with a splitting headache, the exhausted Linoone stood up, chunks of dried vomit from him as he did so. His vision blurry and head in terrible pain, Linoone started to walk towards an opening in the wall which he assumed was the door. Everything in the room was doubling in number and swaying to and fro, occasionally merging to make one concrete object before dividing again and moving more. After a few failed attempts, Linoone finally found himself in a hallway just as white as the room he was just in. Every few feet there was an opening in the wall that he assumed were all doorways leading to rooms much like the one he had just inhabited.

…The rumbling shook the building again, causing Linoone to panic and begin to hyperventilate. Scouring the walls and the ceiling thoroughly for any abnormality, Linoone attempted to reassure himself that he hadn’t heard anything; it was all his imagination. Yes, of course – his eyes wide and delusion with fear – his imagination.

Continuing down the hallway, Linoone peered into every room only to find each one deserted and barely lit. Only vague shapes of tables could be made out, and the whiteness that seemed so luminous and pure earlier was a sooty black and encased the walls in a disgusting color. Pulling away from the sight of the darkened room, Linoone continued down the hallway, his claws making a slight ticking nose with each step that he took, making him footfalls sound hyperbolically loud in the silent building.

The hallway seemed to last forever and it had felt like hours before a wall quickly began to approach. From the perspective of the Linoone, it looked like a dead-end, but there was a sharp turn to the right heading to another hallway. Reaching the turn, Linoone looked down the next long stretch, panicking for it looked the same as the one he just went down. Turning back around he looked down two identical paths; both seemingly leading nowhere. A low bellow shook the building again, causing the Linoone to yelp in fear and bolt down one of the halls - sprinting and hoping for a change in the scenery, and with each step losing said hope. The bellowing became continuous and pierced Linoone’s eardrums, disorientating him and causing him to smash into a wall. Looking up, he saw the ceiling getting ripped apart, and the head-splitting roar was brought on full force, distorting even the solid walls all around him. Linoone, wide-eyed, but seeing nothing, sprinted from side to side, smashing into the wall, reopening the gash that was making permanent residence on his head.

Laying out on his back, Linoone looked around in a daze unable to make out anything from the sharp ringing in his ears and blackness enveloping his sight. …The darkness bgan to take form, but the outer-edges having no clear definition. Inside of the blackness, there was a rushing noise – like the fluttering of a thousand small wings. On top of that, there was a sound of snakes slithering over each other, hissing menacingly. Linoone quaked in fear as he looked into the bleak darkness, stomach churning with pure horror as he looked into the gaping darkness that was spreading out and overtaking everything in his line of sight. The outter edges squirmed with active life and eventually worked their way down to Linoone, licking at his fur with frozen, ambiguous limbs.

Paralyzed, Linoone eyed the tentacles with worried eyes, shaking uncontrollably with complete dread. Stomach lurching, he vomited on his chest as the horrendous appendages groping him fully, draining the sanity from him. He could feel them prodding his innards with their freezing touch, gripping at the very essence of his life, stealing it bit by bit. Convulsing, with eyes rolling into the back of his head, Linoone thrashed subconsciously smashing his body against the ground multiple times, breaking his ribs and splitting open the gash on his head causing blood to rush out.

… The overhanging light was the first thing that took form as Linoone regained consciousness; it swung to and fro as if recently disturbed while making a slight screeching sound. Linoone bolted upright and stares in sheer terror… the white room was pristine again without a single trace of his previous interference. Shaking, Linoone got on his feet, and looked around in wonderment of his current location. What in the hell was going on? The disgustingly white room mocked him; daring him to try and leave again. The Darkness roamed those halls. The Darkness waited for him.

Jumping down to the ground, Linoone sniffed the air in an attempt to distinguish something from the reoccurring landscape; smelling nothing of interest. He shuffled nervously around the room, still looking for something of note – possibly even something to notate his previous visit there. Finding nothing, Linoone trembled from the frightening realization, and mustering up some feeling of sanity, he decided to attempt and make some sense of the whole situation. Pacing back and forth with a feel of dread impeding upon his disposition, Linoone contemplated what could be going on – an endless loop of uncertainty and insanity drifting through his fragile mind. Hearing an elongated creaking noise, Linoone’s eyes darted in a frantic search for the origin of the noise. Eventually his eyes settled upon the open doorway which led back out into the snow white hall.

Shifting nervously and walking backwards slowly, Linoone began to creep away from the door in hopes of not attracting the attention of whatever caused the noise. …However, his attempt was to no avail…

The doorway was suddenly darkened by the Darkened Being from before, it’s massive figure unable to fit into the small doorway. Bulging inward, it wrapped its anomalous limbs along the insides of the doorway, sucking the whiteness out of the walls and replacing it with a dull, faded brown. Where the tentacles met the wall, black root-like objects began to snake their way alongside them, infecting the wall with its disgust. At the center of all of this calamity, the Darkened Being’s entire mass started swarming, as it was eating itself over and over again. The black pigment began to lighten and suddenly the entire mass was nothing more than a white blob of maggots; writhing, and making disgusting sounds while doing so. Where the roots had sunk into the walls there was also a severe change of color, causing them to revert back to their original pale white color before also dissolving into a mass of maggots, joing the supposed millions squirming all over the floor.

Linoone looked in shock as the sea of maggots engulfed everything around him, taking away any feeling of certainty and sanity that he may have had previously. Shrieking in terror, Linoone slashed away at the mass of creatures and he felt them crawl all over him, their small legs making his skin crawl as they pierced his sane defenses.

…Just as suddenly as they had appeared, the maggots were gone – leaving nothing but a gaping hole where the wall once was. The scenery outside had changed drastically, and Linoone was staring off into a fire-filled sky. Bewildered, Linoone’s curiosity overtook his fear and he inched closer to the doorway for a better look. Finally reaching it, he looked over the edge and insanity solidified its grip on him as he stared with mouth agape.

The land was scorched and there was no green life in existence. Rock of the darkest red color shaped the earth and hanging in the middle of the sky was a scorching white sun, beating down and cooking the rocks even more. The shadows, that should’ve been nonexistent, moved and swayed as they left from rock to rock in utter madness. Off to the side, a roar was heard, and following it was a behemoth of unimaginable complexion.

As He swayed, the entire landscape shook – his breathe spread the winds that carried malice and plague. His eyes were glassy and seemed to make more of crystal than of organic matter. His shape itself was impossible to describe, for no words in existence had the ability to describe it. With each step that He took, the land behind him became more-so corroded and damned to disgusting qualities, leaving not even the slightest essence of joy in the realm.

Opening His mouth, or what appeared to be a mouth for it was more of a dark darkness in the already blackened surface of the entity, a shriek was emitted and in less than even the smallest increment of time, the crystalized eyes were bearing down on the Linoone; the behemoth staring down upon the small figure.

Linoone looked up and the sight shattered his psyche – there was nothing to distinguish in His “face” other than the gleaming black eyes. Screaming again, He seemed to be attempted to express some sort of emotion, when suddenly it’s midsection ripped open, revealing a new level of malady and grotesqueness previously unseen. Streteching from His innards, darkened whips of unknown content stretched and latched themselves onto the bottom of the doorway where Linoone was standing. Linoone instinctively raced away from it, before turning around to watch the terrifying events unfold.

A walkway was forming instelf out of the filth that was seeping out of His insides. The blackened forms were entangling themselves with each other, making a direct path from doorway to the insides of Him. Suddenly, rearing His head up to the flame-filled sky, He bellowed, shaking the entire realm or so it seemed and as it did so a figure could be seen walking the very far end of the pathway towards Linoone - a figure that was barely visible even with Linoone’s keen eyes.

…Stepping forward slightly, Linoone attempted to view the figure more-so in an attempt to figure out just who or what it was. It seemed to be human, from the shape and walk, but nothing more was decipherable. After a few moments… the figure became clear…

Walking the pathway was pure evil incarnate, and just the sight of her caused Linoone’s body to quake entirely. He vomited all over the floor, and began yelping and smashing into the walls around him attempting to find and seize an escape route.

“I’ve come, Linoone. Have you been waiting for me?” a double-layered voice was heard echoing throughout the entire realm. It had the soft-underlying tone of a female, but a disgusting, drawl overshadowed it. …Slowly, Linoone peeked behind him to stare at the oncoming wretch of malady. Her eyes were a searing red and out of her gaping mouth, blackened limbs stretched down and swayed independent of one another as she walked. She spoke in tongues as she walked and the language she spewed interconnected and sounded like chanted. Her pink hair, usually done up, was down fully and had a mind of its own – pulsating in a disgust motion, giving it an aura of a disgusting existence. Her pale exterior complexion had lost its lust and was replaced with a decaying green that contrasted highly with her piercing red eyes. “Oh, Linoone,” she began “Dearest, dearest Linoone. I told you I would come; I told you I would come.” She crossed into through the doorway and was now standing eyeing Linoone intensely.

“Did you miss me?” She snarled, stepping forward. “Because I really, really missed you.”

Return to “The Library”