Battle Frontier on Emerald

Post your Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald / Fire Red / Leaf Green teams here to have them rated. Also post and discuss your movesets.
Superunknown
Dark Sableye
Dark Sableye
User Title: Alive in the Superunknown.

Battle Frontier on Emerald

Post by Superunknown » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 00:54

Wow, there hasn't been a topic in here in over two years. Yikes. I figured even though not many people are on these forums anymore, maybe someone could help me out a bit.

Has anyone tried this Battle Frontier? It's a section of Emerald I have avoided messing with for awhile but my curiosity is getting to me. I'm not too familiar on how difficult the battles are and what would be best to use, so I thought maybe someone would be able to help me out a bit. :)

A few notes though:

Unless you guys really think that EV training is vital for my team, I'd rather not fool with it.
I don't mind using egg moves.
I also have tons and tons of TMs since I GS'd them a long time ago. :P
I don't want to use the move tutor moves available ingame.
I am not sure if it is possible to change Hidden Power's type ingame so I guess I am probably not going to be able to use it the way I want.

Anyways, this is what I was thinking about using for the Battle Dome. As cheap as this is, do you think it would work?

LUNATONE @ Leftovers
BOLD nature (+Def and -Atk)
LEVITATE ability
-Reflect
-Cosmic Power
-Baton Pass
-Psychic
(Reflect first to help weak defense and Cosmic Power away. Baton Pass to Smeargle.)

SMEARGLE @ Leftovers
JOLLY nature (+Spe and -SpA)
OWN TEMPO ability
-Ingrain
-Baton Pass
-Refresh
-Safeguard
(Ingrain and use those status-healing and protecting effects if needed. Baton Pass to Wobbuffet. :twisted: )

WOBBUFFET @ Leftovers
IMPISH nature (+Def and -SpA)
SHADOW TAG ability
-Encore
-Safeguard
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
(Impossible to take down..?)

I'm definitely not a competitive battler, but would this work? If not, what could I do to fix it?
Xarxes wrote:Drink. Smoke. Girls. Win.
Last.fm Account - BodyBuilding Account - Photobucket Account -
Rock Band 3 Scores

Ametrine
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
User Title: Moving on is hard to do

Re: Battle Frontier on Emerald

Post by Ametrine » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 15:42

It's been a while, so forgive me if I'm a bit slow here.

How do you get a Lunatone with Baton Pass? Do you already have it on hand, because I don't think they pick it up normally.

If you're working cross game, Togetic from Fire/Leaf might be able to replace it, with high Sdef, and fairly high Defense. Problem there, is that there's no way to buff defense/sdefense outside of Ancient Power, Defense Curl, or Steel Wing.

Recover / BP / Bulk Up / Calm Mind Medicham might take longer, and fulfill the same role.

Though the bad news on Wobbuffet, I clearly remember Dark types, using Dark moves are unaffected by Mirror Coat.
I think Ghost types using Ghost moves are also unaffected by Counter. Which you may as well count as confirmed. Ghost Moves are physical attack based.
Censorship, especially in the name of Order, sucks.

Superunknown
Dark Sableye
Dark Sableye

Post by Superunknown » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 19:30

Lunatone gets Baton Pass from Pokemon XD. So does Beedrill, Spearow, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Hypno, Zapdos, Natu, Swellow, and Solrock. I figured Lunatone was the best defensive baton passer since it has Cosmic Power (raises Def and SpD.)

That really sucks about Wobbuffet. I thought I had made the most dangerous set up. I guess even the best set ups have flaws.

Maybe since Ghosts and Dark types would be a problem, would Medicham be a good fourth pokemon? How does this look?

MEDICHAM @ Salac Berry
ADAMENT nature (+Atk and -SpA)
PURE POWER ability
-Endure
-Reversal
-Shadow Ball
-Brick Break

Or do you think that Bulk Up would be a better choice rather than Endure/Reversal ?
Rock Band 3 Scores

Ametrine
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Ametrine » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 21:08

Superunknown wrote: MEDICHAM @ Salac Berry
ADAMENT nature (+Atk and -SpA)
PURE POWER ability
-Endure
-Reversal
-Shadow Ball
-Brick Break
You know I'd always go with Brick Break over Reversal. ^^
Pure Power makes it's attack worse (more effective anyways) out of the gate. Salac would be reliable if he could survive a hit, but if you're being out damaged too quickly, you might swap it out for a Quick Claw.
So, Recover or Protect, maybe Attract because I like chaos. Reflect if you're doing 2v2 and you're using the medicham during your set up phase. Bulk Up couldn't hurt, but you'd need to have Recover to correct some of the damage you soak up. Plus crazy BP games.
If that mode has 2v2, It's been a while.

Superunknown
Dark Sableye
Dark Sableye

Post by Superunknown » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 21:45

So is the Endure Reversal with Salac Berry idea just good on paper but bad in battle? I've never attempted it, so I don't know if it would be worth a try. Also, if my Medicham eats this Salac Berry in a Battle Frontier battle, will the berry be gone forever after it is used or does it continue to hold it? If it's a one-time thing, I might want to reconsider trying the Endure Reversal Salac Berry thing. Quick Claw probably would be a better choice then I would think.

Unfortunately, I just found out that Ghost moves actually can do damage to Fighting types (I thought it was ineffective like Normal types) so that would mean that Ghost types are super effective against Medicham, which sucks since his purpose is to counter those with Ghost moves.
Rock Band 3 Scores

Ametrine
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Ametrine » Sun 2011.Aug.21, 22:02

Your biggest threats in Gen III are other psychics using ghost attacks.
Gengar is weak to Lunatone's Psychic, Misdreavus is not a huge threat out of the gate, Sableeye is a bit of a problem, Dusclops is slow. And you should be able to out speed Banette in most cases.

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter
User Title: George Moshington

Post by Xarxes » Sun 2011.Sep.04, 17:04

the salac berry would still be there.

i suggest a metagross:

meta@lefties
brave (+attk -def) reflect + cosmic power should fix that def drop
-eq
-psychic
-meteor mash
-brick break

it counters dark, can hit ghost, and pretty much takes care of other types one way or another. only scary thing to him is a fire type that outspeeds but with the sp. def raises of cosmic power, i'd suppose you should be okay.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LzGZ2QrCnhI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_uUTVHbSE

Is that an Onix in your Pokeball or are you just happy to see me?

Superunknown
Dark Sableye
Dark Sableye

Post by Superunknown » Thu 2011.Sep.08, 22:38

I realized how annoying it would be to create that team and train it on my Emerald... maybe I'll try a more offensive approach. These are some ideas of my UU team I'd like to make. I think this is a bit more practical.

Flareon (Brave) w/ Choice Band
- Body Slam
- Flamethrower (Overheat?)
- Shadow Ball
- Charm

Cradily (Careful) w/ Leftovers
- Barrier
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Dunsparse (Adament) w/ King's Rock
- Headbutt
- Rock Slide
- Water Pulse
- Ancientpower

Lanturn (Modest) w/ Leftovers
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

How do these look?
Rock Band 3 Scores

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Fri 2011.Sep.09, 09:46

Superunknown wrote:I realized how annoying it would be to create that team and train it on my Emerald... maybe I'll try a more offensive approach. These are some ideas of my UU team I'd like to make. I think this is a bit more practical.

Flareon (Brave) w/ Choice Band
- Body Slam
- Flamethrower (Overheat?)
- Shadow Ball
- Charm

Overheat definitely would compensate for Flareon's subpar Sp. Attk stat, but Choice Band would have it locked into that basically forcing you to switch out. Be careful when choosing one or the other, but in my case Overheat is the way to go. Charm is meh, but I can't really think of what else would be a good filler move. Try its Hidden Power for :censor: and giggles and see if it's too your liking. Dig is always a choice as well.

Cradily (Careful) w/ Leftovers
- Barrier
- Recover
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Barrier or Protect. Either or, but I feel with its solid typing, its personal physical attributes aren't too bad. Mayhaps Reflect so that Dunsparce has more to work with upon switch in?

- Headbutt
- Rock Slide
- Water Pulse
- Ancientpower

Works for me. Glare if you want a Status afflicting move. Toxic, Rest, etc, all work. If you do choose Rest, I suggest a Chesto Berry with it.

Lanturn (Modest) w/ Leftovers
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Yepyepyep. Just remember that Lanturn isn't the greatest Special Sweeper of all time, but it's definitely bulky enough to survive enough hits to take something else. You may want a Wish-er on the team to be a sort of Cleric to help out with the weaker pogeys that might not be able to withstand too much.
How do these look?

Superunknown
Dark Sableye
Dark Sableye

Post by Superunknown » Sat 2011.Sep.10, 19:41

Xarxes wrote:
- Headbutt
- Rock Slide
- Water Pulse
- Ancientpower

Works for me. Glare if you want a Status afflicting move. Toxic, Rest, etc, all work. If you do choose Rest, I suggest a Chesto Berry with it.
Do you think the King's Rock idea would work? Dunsparse with Serene Grace gives Headbutt a 60% flinch rate, plus (I think) with King's Rock it raises to 74% flinch rate. Rock Slide also causes flinching. Water Pulse has a 40% to confuse (almost as good as Supersonic with 55%) and AP can raise all stats 20% of the time. So do you guys think that the King's Rock is a good idea or would Leftovers or a Lum Berry be a better idea?
Rock Band 3 Scores

Xarxes
Haunter
Haunter

Post by Xarxes » Sun 2011.Sep.11, 21:29

lefties wouldn't be plausible unless you removed it from your other pogey because i'm sure there's an item clause at the battle frontier. king's rock i suppose is fine, but you'll probably be causing them to flinch enough as it is. experiment and see which you prefer haha. it's all comes down to personal preference.

Return to “Rb, Sp, Em and FR, LG Team Rating and Movesets”